It's that time of year and you may want to add a Wish List and Gift Registry to your site. Here are some basic, step-by-step instructions on how to accomplish this, however if you get stuck, feel free to contact me and I'd be more than happy to help!
Also, remember that if you sign up for my Blog Setup service (by Dec. 31st, 2008) that I will set this up for you as part of the setup features (Blogger/Typepad only)! Contact me for more details.
Here is a sample of my Gift Registry if you want to see it in action.
Get together a Wish List
Download the Wish List – simply save the Word document to your computer and then at the bottom, put in your name, contact information and save. Then upload it to your file manager. More detailed information below.
Get a FREE form online to use for your Gift Registry form
You will also need to go to http://www.response-o-matic.com/ and sign up for a FREE account. You will enter your name, email address and password. You will then receive an email to "activate" your account. Afterwards, you can login to response-o-matic, create the form, and then use the HTML code to copy/paste into your post or page.
- Click the Add Question link on the bottom left.
- Click Short Answer.
- Type in "Phone:" in the text box.
- Click Save.
- Add another question, Short Answer, and enter "Who is this gift for?" and click Save.
- Add another question, Long Answer, and enter "Your Order:" in the text box and click Save.
- Add another question, Long Answer, and enter "Your Shipping Address:" in the text box and click Save.
- Add one more question, Long Answer, and enter "Additional Notes" in the text box and click Save.
- Then click Continue.
- You can then click to use the Thank You page from Response-o-matic, which will then recap all the info they entered – pretty cool. Or you can can create a Thank You "page" and point to that page instead.
- Then in the middle area, it should have your email address and a check mark to email you about submissions and you can then enter a Subject for the email that will be send.
- Click Continue.
- Then you will come to the HTML code.
- Select it all and Copy. You will then need this code to "paste" into a post or page as described below.
- Sign out.
Get a Gift Registry image
(Like the one above)
- Michelle Laycock (http://www.laycockdesigns.com/) and Amy Celona (www.websbyamy.com/blog) frequently design beautiful buttons for your blogs.
- Go to their blogs and find the Gift Registry button you like.
- Right-click on it and from the short-cut menu choose Save Picture As and then save it to a location on your personal computer/laptop.
What you need to upload to the File Manager
- Download the Wish List referenced above. Save it to your local computer.
- Open it in MS Word.
- Scroll to the bottom and change the name and contact information. Save the file. Make sure the name you choose does NOT have any funky characters or spaces. So, for example, name it MyWishList.doc.
- Now, login to your Typepad account.
- Then go to the Control Panel.
- Files tab.
- On the right, click the Browse button. Locate the file you just saved to your computer, the MyWishList.doc.
- Select it and open.
- Then click the Upload button.
- You will then see the name of the file listed on the left side of your file manager.
- Righ-click on it and choose Copy Shortcut. (This copies the location of this file and copies it to the Clipboard for later use).
Compose your post or page
- Give it a desired title, such as Gift Registry.
- Write up any text you'd like, see my sample again for some ideas.
- Make sure to link to the Wish List…by clicking on the text "Wish List" and then clicking the LINK button on the toolbar. Then PASTE in the shortcut you copied above/previously. Click the check box to open in a new window.
- Switch to Response-o-matic and get the HTML code (see instructions on created the form above). Select it all.
- Then switch to Edit HTML view.
- Paste it in there.
- Post. You're done.
Adding the Gift Registry sidebar image
- This is done the same way as you normally do and will point to your new Gift Registry post or page. See this manual for more detail:https://www.blogsbyheather.com/2008/08/typepad-addin-1.html
- The instructions for the new "Everything Typepad" is slightly different so if you get stuck or need help on adding a sidebar image, let me know.
Okay….so this article is loaded with a lot of information. If you have any questions or get stuck, let me know. Again, if you sign up for my Blog Setup service before Dec. 31st, 2008, I will add this functionality for you as part of your setup.
Hope this helps!